Blue Canoe Learning is seeking a Senior Full Stack Developer to join our team and take ownership of our tools and systems to ensure that our machine learning and scoring technologies are continually improving.
Blue Canoe is the English pronunciation expert. We are a well-funded start up with an experienced and successful leadership team that is focused on improving the English pronunciation of non-native speakers, the challenging “last mile” of learning English. Mastery of English pronunciation is mission-critical for hundreds of millions of jobs around the world, and enables people to be truly effective and able to build empathy and rapport with customers and colleagues.
We are building a suite of tools, starting with a mobile app that engages English learners through a spoken game. Our underlying methodology is based on brain-research, and endorsed by leading institutions such as the US State Department. We scale it using speech recognition and machine learning, and provide learners with personalized feedback for improvement. We are also one of the few companies in the world to be accepted into the new startup incubator at the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence. We are patent-pending, have active pilot programs with stellar brand-name companies, and are growing quickly.
About the role:
At Blue Canoe, you’ll play a key role in a small (4-person) dev team, and each of your coworkers will be among the best at what they do. We all help out wherever we’re needed, so versatility and flexibility are critical, but you’ll also have ownership of one or more key pieces of our technology. If you enjoy taking on hard problems, and having the autonomy to see a project through from conception to release, this role is for you!
This position is full-time based in Seattle or Bellevue WA.
- You’ll own the app analytics pipeline that we use to track customer engagement as well as pronunciation performance and improvement over time. We use MixPanel, but we add to that our own custom pipeline for pronunciation scoring, player history, and data visualization.
- Work closely with our ML lead to design and build a world-class set of tools for ML training
- Develop web applications for labeling the speech data used for training our ML systems
- Develop other Node.js apps related to managing and processing our training data
- 4+ years of experience in a software engineering position
- Experience developing web applications using modern MVC frameworks (ReactJS preferred)
- Thorough understanding of web technologies (HTTP, REST, JSON, HTML, CSS)
- Experience building back-end services with Node.js and AWS
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science (or equivalent experience)
- Passion for building clean, scalable code
- Ability to learn new languages and technologies quickly
- Experience with TypeScript, React Native, and/or Python is a plus
Blue Canoe is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. We believe this will make our products better. Contact us at email@example.com and share your story!